Saturday, March 23, 2019

New Zealand Road Trip Day 1 - Flight to New Zealand : Singapore Airline to Auckland and Air New Zealand Airline to Christchurch

Flight depart at 10:25pm Singapore time on Friday and reached Auckland at 1:20pm New Zealand. The total flight hours is 10hours.

I managed to sleep for around 5 hours only. Others have been use to eating and watch movies. I have watch two movies, one is after take of while enjoy my late dinner and another one is an hour before landing while enjoy my breakfast.
My Flight

The headset

Meal after flight took off

Fried Fish with Mash Potato and Vege

No sunrise to see

Half way

Watch movie while having meal before flight land or breakfast, Scramble Egg

The flight have upstairs

Auckland

After flight landed, cleared custom and take my bag for declare, is already 2pm and that time I though my transit flight to Christchurch is 3:50pm which have a lot of time. After my tent checked by bio-security, is 2:30pm and is time go to domestic. Have two option, walk 20 minutes or take free bus. At the time I doing this decision, I saw the bus came. Then I rushed there. When I am ready to get on bus,my cooler bag gone and somebody told me that I have dropped. I quickly get it and get on bus.

On the bus, I checked my flight time is 3pm. I really have to rush again. At 2:40pm I reached domestic terminal, I quickly check in bag with the automated system again. Then went into the departures hall. I didn't saw the plane yet and found out that the flight is delayed 20 minutes So I have time to take a bath first. After bathed, the plane came and the right time to boarding.
Bathroom in the Domestic Departure Hall

At last, the flight depart at 3:40pm and reach 5pm at christchurch. I still trying to use my data with my Starhub prepaid overseas data roaming, but I doesn't connect the data since I tried it from Auckland. It is near to 5:30pm after collect the baggage and it is my car taking time. I need to take a van to the Apex rental company which is not in the flight terminal. I still can only access Internet with WiFi. Soon the can coming to fetch me and go to car rental company. At the rental company, it don't have WiFi access and I still trying to figure out the data setting. Finally, while waiting to pick up the car, I manage to connect my Starhub data by setting the correct APN. YEAH!
Bye North Island

Mountainous South Island

Nice view of the farm land near Christchurch


Next, is the car pick up matter. It gave me a rough brief on driving in New Zealand. But most importantly, I was given free upgrade. Initially, I booked the Nissan wingroad, a midsize wagon. It is free upgrade to Toyota Rav4, a same size wagon but it is almost new car. After the person take the car to fully add the petrol, she taught me how to start the car with start button. Then she passed the key to me, I roughly check the car appearance, bonnet,engine section. When driving this car, it look so advanced that have so many button that I don't know how to use. Then start driving carefully as this car is quite big to me.
Apex Rental Car Pick Up Center near Christchurch Airport

Free upgrade to Toyota Rav 4! Nice Car and it is very new!

As for the driving in New Zealand, the road here is really narrow and sometimes look complicated. I was confuse at an intersection when I need to turn sharp right after traffic light, I accidentally go to the pedestrian road which as wide as a normal road and I don't know that road I turned is an one way road. Haha

While waiting for her at the bus terminal, I am preparing the thing to sleep at night in the car especially the air mattress. It took me 20 minutes of time to inflate with my mouth.

The air mattress 120 bought from Decathlon fit exactly in the car!

It has been 5 years that I didn't see her. It so happy to see her. But her luggage are so heavy. Haha. She so happy to see the free upgrade car. First thing after fetch her, is to find food to eat. The cheapest dinner I know is domino pizza. A large size pizza only cost NZD5 which is enough for both of us. I saw the local people eat one large size pizza on their own.
Dinner

After dinner, we went to Warehouse and Pak'n Save to buy something,mainly is aerosol for gas cooking and food for eat for few days.

After shop for the things, it's already 9:30pm because the market is quite big and different to me. Then we arrange the thing in car as later camping side will be quite dark. The place we stay is Chamberlain Ford, a free campsite near the Christchurch with 30 minutes drive from the city.
When we reach there, they are a lot of van and tent there. The free campsite only have toilet and no shower. After brush for the teeth, we straight away sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment